Thursday, September 27, 2007

Loyalty

Where do you draw the line on loyalty? To a team? To a city? When does allegiance to a team start? Can it end?

I live in Chicago, a city dedicated to their teams as much as any. The Bulls haven't won in 9 years, the Bears in 22, and the Cubs in 103. Sure, the White Sox won in in 2005; but to me, they don't count. Sorry, but it's less than two years later and everyone forgot.

We love and hate our players as many cities do. We aren't as bad as Philadelphia (Donovan! Come back to the Chi!) in regards to hating their players if they haven't done anything for them lately. But in Chicago, when we embrace someone, it's hard to let them go. There are tons of 'what-ifs' and 'if-onlys' and 'just-whens.' When someone becomes a hero in Chicago, they are remembered forever. If you were the backup punt returner on the practice squad of the 1985 Bears, you can't go anywhere in Chicago and not claim a free meal. Chicago residents will refuse to believe that Air Jordan even played on the Wizards. Sammy Sosa's sweetest memories will still be in confines of Wrigley Field (achoo!). Scottie Pippen is embraced at all the Chicagoland Pita Inns.

It even hurts when we bench our players; I'm glad Rexstacy is benched for Griese. I think we'll have a better chance to not lose (not win... we'll have less bleeding with Griese), but somewhere in my heart, I have a feeling of sorrow to know that that Rex will not stand behind Olin and unleash the dragon.

But snap back to reality, oh there goes Rabbit, he choked... yea... back to the subject of loyalty. In Chicago, if you are a Packers fan, a Pistons fan, a Cardinals fan, or a Knicks fan, you are hated and ostracized. Okay, Knicks fans are just laughed at, but you get the point. Especially if you've been living in Chicago for a long time, it just doesn't make sense to be a fan of a different team.

But, can't it have something to do with when you grew up? I grew up with the Bulls during an era where Jordan was king and not much else. I didn't know other teams were allowed to win titles when MJ was on the court (they didn't). I grew up with Sosa fever running rampant and watching two stud pitchers lead the major leagues in Ks (Now, they lead the major leagues in DNPs). So, naturally I relished in Cubdom and Bullsdom at the young ages where I started to watch the sports.

(Don't kill me, Chicagoans) But when I started to get into football, circa 1995-1997, the Bears sucked. Erik Kramer? Rashaan Salaam? Raymont Harris? Bobby Engram. Alonzo Spellman? Spare me please. Watching the playoffs, I had to choose a team that I would stick with for the rest of my life- I chose Pittsburgh. Could you blame me? They had a stellar defense and an offense to drool over. The Jaw, Coach Cowher, ran the ball like there was no tomorrow, Bettis made linebackers cry, and Kordell was "Slash." Backed by a great tradition and a winning attitude, I fell in love with Pittsburgh. I followed them through and through with every heartbreak and my dedication paid off when we won "one for the thumb" in 2005.

But around 2002, when the Cardiac Bears started to win games, I started to watch and saw a team with characteristics similar my Steelers: hard-nosed running and a stellar defense. I like to watch the Bears and I like to cheer for them; I pay attention to them since I listen to AM radio. But when the Steelers and Bears play, I'm yellow and black, not blue and orange. But I consider myself a Bears and a Steelers fan and I'm lucky to see my teams having recent success. Is it wrong? One is AFC and the other NFC. I have to admit, I am loyal to both teams.

I am loyal to the city of Chicago, but I just don't recognize the White Sox. So many jumped on the wagon in 2005. Don't deny it. The true white sox fans- I applaud you for your dedication. But to the ones who decided to keep the Cubbie blue in the closet in exchange for White Sox Black (White Sox Black? How does that make sense??), I scoff at you. The decision came and you made the wrong one; and now, you want to change back? Many allegiances have ended since people want to cheer for a winner- something the White Sox are not anymore. Something happened, maybe Ozzie got some of the crack that was dealt at The jail Cell.
If you haven't noticed by now, I'm a Cubs fan through and through. I never minded the White Sox until all their "fans" started to poke fun at me and my team. But it got me to think- why are so many individuals who bled White Sox black (still not making sense) now denying it ever happened? Lost allegiance? I guess so.

In any case, I'm not posting this to try and offend anyone. I'm just trying to get a read on what people feel about loyalty to a team. I have favorite players on opposing teams that I'll follow regardless of the team they're on. I have respect for Brett Favre, Rip Hamilton, and Albert Pujols. Is it okay to be a Packers fan in Chicago? Is it okay to cheer for both Chicago baseball teams? I mean, Indianapolis isn't too far.. can I cheer for Peyton?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Our teams ought to reflect our personalities and values but no team is absolutely clean and untarnished. The Steelers might be as close as it gets in the high character clip. Loyalty is good and all but there's nothing ethically wrong with rooting for another team unless they are hated rivals by the majority of your core fans. Even then, the universe won't explode and the earth's axis stays the same, so it can't be that bad.

I am getting older and I don't have that much loyalty for sports as I once did. There's a line in the movie "Bronx Tales" where the lead mob guy asks a young boy who is in love with Micky Mantle (flick takes place in the 50's), "What did Micky Mantle ever do for you? Is Micky Mantle going to feed or clothe you? Would he bother to visit you if you were sick? C'mon kid, wake up." To the young boy's chagrin, silence broke through his tender, feeble mind and he realized he was idolizing a figure who didn't even know he was alive. After his encounter with the mafia boss, he never watched baseball quite the same way. (Good movie, check it out) That's my take on sports loyalty. Now in terms of friendship and family, that's another matter all together. I'm out.